-->

A word to the wise

"Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know." - Inquisitor Czevak Turns out, the answers are; "Oh, just a few days", "Our friends will be here shortly" and "We have quite the appetite".

Wednesday 21 August 2013

... Finally, a paint scheme is chosen... (Part 1)

As the famous movie quote goes, "There can only be one".

I had waited many a year for this moment. One where I could actually settle on a theme I wanted through the army. Somewhat inspired by my love of Orange, Tigers and the old school Corsairs (Eldar pirates as they were once known), it was time to begin sorting out the schemes for each unit.

Easier said than done.

Now, with over 1200+ models accounted for, allocating schemes whilst maintaining a coherent look was going to be a mission in itself. I just didn't realise how much.

Finally, in January this year (2013), I was well on my way. Given the amount of time I spend at a computer, commuting and general lack of hand-eye coordination, I chose the smarter route, deciding to go with commissioned artists. Figured if I was going to have a good looking army on display, my half arsed attempt would only do it a great disservice. Kinda like getting to the end of a marathon and dropping dead of a heart attack just before the finishing line.

Initially, one studio was chosen to do the miniatures. Specifically with mass troop output in mind, I went with a company in Sri Lanka. I had heard mostly good things and decided that it was within my affordability range to go with them.

Navin (the proprietor of PaintedFigs.com) has been cracking the whip behind his studio cohorts in order to get the bulk of my regular 40k miniatures painted. Let's just say it is a mammoth effort and one that I am very grateful for. Boy oh boy is our email thread a doosey.

Plug, plug, plug... Facebook goodness here;
https://www.facebook.com/Pfigs

After a bit of tweaking, scheme changes etc, things were moving smoothly. Keep in mind that when dealing with commissioned artists, they each have their own strengths and weaknesses. So know how you will set out the intended scheme to cater to their strengths! Looking at the models below you will see what great schemes can be achieved sticking to this principle.

Only one small hiccup was identified, which was the HQ models - This was not through any fault of the Studio I might add, more my preference specific to the styling sought. Really I wanted them to pop amongst the rest, and decided to go all out. This was going to chew up more time than was economically feasible - I didn't want to stuff them around given the good rapport between Navin and myself (this isn't a discredit to their services, as I mentioned, each has their own style).

As shown below, the Aspect Warriors and Rangers have come out a treat;

Howling Banshees first off the rank


Followed by Striking Scorpions


Followed by Dark Reapers


Followed by Rangers & Pathfinders


And a little sample of WIP Warp Spiders...


... And the WIP Fire Dragon scheme